RE: Is long s a presentation form?

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 09:00:28 EST

    On 11/11/2002 05:42:15 AM Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >Michael Everson wrote:
    >> I like to think of the long s as similar to the final sigma. Nobody
    >> thinks that final sigma should be a presentation form of sigma.
    >
    >Never say "nobody": I *do* think that Greek final sigma, final Hebrew
    >letters, and Latin long s should all be presentation forms.

    I agree that Michael's "nobody" is incorrect. I've no opinion on the long
    s, but for sigma and Hebrew gimel, etc. we have legacy encodings that
    assume the finals *are* presentation forms. It means that, whereas we have
    a ton of custom encodings with presentation forms for which we neutralise
    when going to Unicode but need context-sensitive rules coming back, in the
    case of these Greek and Hebrew encodings, we need to neutralise
    distinctions going from Unicode to legacy, but need context-sensitive rules
    going from legacy to Unicode. It is what it is, though, and we're not
    suggesting any need to change.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>