Re: Plane 1 maths fraktur in textual apparatus?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 09:51:21 EST

    Peter_Constable@sil.org scripsit:

    > The use of Fraktur in Greek and Hebrew apparatus is not as variables, which
    > denote some particular attribute but have no specific value; they are
    > symbols with specific meaning, more comparable to letters denoting units of
    > measure.

    I think that's a nonessential difference. We call them variables because
    most of them are, but no mathematician would take MATHEMATICAL ITALIC SMALL PI
    or MATHEMATICAL ITALIC SMALL E to be anything but constants.
    Likewise your Fraktur apparatus letters are constants, though bound not
    to mathematical objects but to manuscript objects.

    > 4. Use Fraktur math symbols. Cons: I can't think of any, though we'd still
    > want to promote consensus among the Biblical studies community on using
    > this.

    +1

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Promises become binding when there is a meeting of the minds and consideration