Speaking of Plane 1 characters...

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 13:08:11 EST

    One of the tools I use for building fonts requires that codepoints for
    Plane 1 characters be expressed as surrogate pairs, rather than as scalar
    values. I'm hoping this will change on the next release, since the scalar
    values are a lot easier to work with, but in the meantime I need to figure
    out the easiest way to find the correct surrogate pair values for any given
    scalar value. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere, or an easy
    alogorithm (easy for a non-programmer)? How about a web-based form, into
    which someone could enter scalar values and receive back surrogate pairs?

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467