Re: Speaking plane1-ly

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 09:29:42 EST

    On 11/11/2002 04:58:46 PM Tex Texin wrote:

    >I don't have any more time today, but if I had recommendations for
    >(lists of) IMEs and Fonts that support planes other than the BMP...

    I know MS has one font with plane 2 ideographs, and James Kass has his Code
    2001 font with at least some supplementary-plane characters. Those are the
    only ones I know of so far.

    As for input methods, the only thing I know of is that Tavultesoft Keyman
    can be used to create IMs that enter *any* Unicode character, assuming apps
    that are capable of accepting them. On Win9x/Me, this is only possible in
    apps that support the WM_UNICHAR message, and a very small number of others
    (e.g. Tavultesoft provides a Word add-in that allows input of all Unicode
    characters into Word 97 and later).

    >Hmmm. I just reviewed Andrew's comment that he can get support for
    >surrogates via uniscribe on windows 9x.

    Amazing, and interesting: it reveals a little more to me about what all
    Uniscribe is doing.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>