Re: UTF-8 to Japanese encoding scheme for IBM Mainframe OS 390

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 14:45:23 EST

    sourav mazumder wrote:
    > Need an urgent help regarding UTF-8 data conversion in
    > IBM Mainframe 390.
    >
    > I have a data file in Windows system which contains
    > Japanese characters encoded using UTF-8. I need to
    > send this file to IBM Mainframe 390, where an
    > application will read this data.
    >
    > In this context I need to know the following
    > information -
    >
    > 1. What is the encoding scheme is generally used in
    > IBM Mainframe 390 for Japanese language ? I'm aware of
    > IBM EUC. But this is not working.

    EUC means Extended Unix Code. Mainframes traditionally use EBCDIC-based charsets instead. There are
    about 10 CCSIDs for Japanese EBCDIC, like 930, 939, 1390, 1399, etc. You need to figure out which
    CCSID is used.

    > 2. Is there any API(s) available in Windows platform
    > (2000) using which I can use to convert the UTF-8 data
    > to the encoding scheme supported by IBM Mainframe 390
    > for Japanese ?

    Possible. Once you know which IBM CCSID you need you can check Microsoft documentation on the subject.
    You could also use ICU to convert UTF-8 -> UTF-16 -> CCSID 930 or whichever
    See http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

    > 3. Does Java has any equivalent encoding scheme which
    > can use to convert the UTF-8 data to the encoding
    > scheme supported by IBM Mainframe 390 for Japanese ?

    It supports some of them. Java tends to prepend "Cp" to IBM CCSIDs to form charset names.

    Best regards,
    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.