Re: The result of the plane 14 tag characters review.

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 22:18:58 EST

    George W Gerrity <ggerrity at dragnet dot com dot au> wrote:

    >> The first objection is, and always has been, a non-issue, and is the
    >> only aspect of the problem that the Plane 14 tags could hope to deal
    >> with. The issue is not a language one, but a locale one, to begin
    >> with.
    >
    > Yes, although language and region can be encoded, as in en-us, or
    > en-uk.

    John Jenkins was referring to the preference of Japanese speakers for
    reading Chinese-language text in Japanese-style glyphs. Perhaps an
    appropriate language tag for this scenario might be "zh-JP", meaning
    "Chinese as used in Japan." Even then, the language-country model is
    not perfect; the Japanese speaker in question could be located anywhere
    in the world, even in China.

    > How do Chinese feel about this? They might find it objectionable to
    > have to read Chinese in Japanese glyphs in a multilingual document.

    You never hear this situation mentioned. I take that to mean that
    Chinese speakers do not find it cripplingly objectionable the way some
    Japanese speakers find the opposite situation.

    > Thank you. This clarification of the way the renderers work is very
    > helpful in understanding why plane 14 tags are relatively useless,
    > but it confuses me as to how the bidi algorithm can work: it
    > certainly requires state be kept at the rendering level.

    What about the other applications for language tagging mentioned in RFC
    3066 and in my Plane 14 paper, like spelling and grammar checking and
    speech synthesis? Should these be available only for fancy text?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California