Re: Morse code

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:00:50 EST

    On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:43:26PM +0100, Otto Stolz wrote:
    > >Radovan Garabik had written:
    > >Recently I got a crazy idea: why not include Morse code characters
    > >in unicode? (Yes, I know it is crazy, but when Braille is already
    > >included...)
    >
    > I wrote:
    > >I was under the impression that all three Morse code elements are already
    > >in Unicode:
    > > U+00B7
    > > U+2013
    > > U+0020
    >

    > U+2013 was a bad idea, as some (many, most?) fonts concatenate the
    > U+2013 glyphs into a horizontal line. So, I think, U+002d HYPHEN-MINUS
    > is the better alternative.
    >
    > Most Morse code instructions I've seen in the Internet, or on paper,
    > use U+002E FULL STOP for the Morse dot; but I think, we should rather
    > recommend U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT.

    However, by using the same arguments, we may come to the conclusion
    that there is no need to separately encode LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A,
    since it can be (more or less acurately) expressed via the
    sequence "/-\". Or chinese characters are not decomposed into
    strokes (they certainly could be). (However, OTOH korean characters
    can be decomposed)

    Moreover, Morse characters are distinct logical entities, primary
    representation of them is audible, less visual (like primary
    representation of braille is tangible, less visual).

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |