Re: Quick ATSUI question

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:44:40 EST

    You should always keep ATSUStyle objects around as long as possible.

    Whether it's faster to keep ATSUTextLayout objects persistently or to
    create and then destroy them depends on your application. If you redraw
    the same paragraphs repeatedly, it's to your advantage to retain the
    ATSUTextLayout objects for those paragraphs in a cache. If you draw
    text once and then don't draw it again for a long time, you can either
    recycle the ATSUTextLayout object or create a new one; it's not that
    expensive to create the object.

    The things that are expensive are creating ATSUStyle objects and going
    through the layout process. For more information, see

    http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1027.html

    I strongly suggest you ask questions like this on the
    Carbon-Development mailing list rather than here on the Unicode list.
    You'll find many more people able and willing to help.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts & Unicode
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com