Why isn't my character displaying

From: Theodore H. Smith (delete@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 07:23:46 EST

    Hi list,

    I'm directly calling ATSUI, for a framework I am writing.

    I have a character of value 987, "Stigma". This is part of my UTF16
    string. The rest of the string displays just fine. But my Stigma
    doesn't, it shows up as the Rectangle.

    What is wrong? Is it something to do with font fallbacks? I am not
    touching font fallbacks at all. All I did was set the FontID for my
    ATSUStyle object, to that for Monaco plain.

    I'm a bit stuck here, can someone help? I thought ATSUI is meant to
    fill in the missing fonts, automatically??? So why isn't it?