Default properties for PUA characters???

From: Christian Wittern (wittern@kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 20:27:40 EST

    Dear Unicoders,

    I was recently pointed to the document "Character Entities: An XML Core WG View
    A consensus statement from the XML Core WG as of 2002 October 23"
    available at http://www.w3.org/XML/Core/2002/10/charents-20021023. In
    the last paragraph, it says:

    <quote>
    The appropriate way to make use of such characters is to define
    character entities which give human-readable names to the PUA
    characters for use in authoring. The question of supplying
    machine-understandable semantics for PUA characters is an open
    research question: the Unicode defaults treat PUA characters like
    ideographs, since the most frequent use for them is to represent
    unusual ideographs for use in personal names.
    </quote>

    Leaving aside the red light that flashed in my head on the notion of
    the W3C recommending PUA (for interchange?), I was wondering about the
    notion of PUA characters being by "Unicode defaults" treated as
    ideographs. Is there a canonical reference for this?

    Just wondering,

    All the best,

    Christian Wittern

    --