Re: code points in MS word

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 16:23:23 EST

    On 12/03/2002 01:18:54 PM Rick McGowan wrote:

    >> I am new to this list. I like to know if there is method to input
    >> hexadecimal code points into a file on Windows and use MS Word to see
    the
    >> actual character ?
    >
    >Yes, if you have a recent enough MS Word (2000 or newer). Please see the
    >FAQ page below for some info:
    >
    >http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/font_keyboard.html

    Actually, I might be wrong, but I got the impression that he wants to have
    a bunch of USVs as text, like "0041 0020 0042 ... " in the document. You
    can't do that in Word, but I have written a function that allows me to do
    it in Excel: you enter USVs in a cell, and display the corresponding
    character in another cell by entering a formula in that other cell.

    I suppose it would be possible to write a VBA program for Word that read
    USV stings and entered the corresponding characters somewhere else in the
    doc. The only problem is telling it where to look for the source USV
    strings and where to enter the corresponding characters.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485