RE: code points in MS word

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 18:03:20 EST

    If you put the bytes "00" and "41 in the file in that order, and expect
    LATIN CAPTIAL LETTER A, then that is assuming a text file encoding of
    UCS-2/UTF-16, and a byte order of MSB first, LSB second. Word calls that
    encoding "Unicode (big-endian)". You can use Word2000 or Word2002 to
    open that file directly.

    If your file just has a single character in it, that is not usually
    enough for Word's automatic encoding detection to work, so you should
    turn on "Tools/Options/General/Confirm conversion at open". When you
    then try to open the file, a dialog will ask you to confirm the format.
    Choose encoded text, then select "Unicode (big endian)" as the encoding
    to use when opening the file.

    Likewise, you can enter these characters into Word (either by typing, or
    using "0041" followed by the "Alt-X" keystroke), and save them as
    "encoded text" (Word2000), or just "plain text" (Word2002). You'll be
    presented with the opportunity to choose the encoding for saving.

    I should note that on Windows, the more common byte order is "little
    endian", which is "41" then "00". If you are creating this file for
    interop with other Windows programs, they will most likely be assuming
    "little endian", so that may work better.

    Chris