Re: Script of U+0951 .. U+0954

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 12:15:54 EST

    There were some errors in my suggested update to Scripts.txt. A
    correction has been posted. Sorry about that.

    Mark Davis <mark dot davis at jtcsv dot com> wrote:

    > Whatever their script property values, characters with general
    > categories of Mn and Me should also inherit their script from their
    > base character. The nominal script property value for these characters
    > may be different from INHERITED in cases where the best interpretation
    > of that character in isolation would be a specific script.

    This is more than an explanatory or clarifying passage. It would add
    noticeable complexity to the Scripts model, because it would now be
    necessary to distinguish TWO types of "inherited" characters:

    (1) those marked as belonging to the INHERITED meta-script, which
    inherit their script from a base character if any, but remain in
    INHERITED if they occur in isolation (for whatever reason), and

    (2) those marked as belonging to a "real" script, but with general
    category Mn or Me, which also inherit their script from a base character
    if any, but remain in their original script (not INHERITED) if they
    occur in isolation.

    Implementations of the Scripts model would need to haul around the
    general-category information for every character, which was not
    necessary before and which imposes significant overhead. (Yes, I know
    ICU already supports this, but suppose I want to roll my own lightweight
    implementation?) Isn't there some way to keep the "inherited" logic
    relatively simple?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California