RE: Precomposed Tibetan

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 00:08:59 EST

    At 01:25 PM 12/17/2002 -0800, Carl W. Brown wrote:
    >Michael,
    >
    > > >I was disappointed that Unicode used precomposed encoding for Ethiopic.
    > >
    > > Heavens, why?
    >
    >I assume that you are being tongue-in-cheek. If not:

    One of the issues with using a precomposed encoding instead of a decomposed
    encoding is that a poorly designed precomposed encoding will leave you
    constantly having to encode new characters as people need this and that.
    The Latin script has that problem even though the decomposed encoding is
    offered as well as a precomposed encoding. But having watched the proposals
    fairly closely for a while, I've only seen one request for more Ethiopic
    characters, a good sign that the right choice was made.