Precomposed Tibetan

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 10:47:48 EST

    I have just noticed that the Chinese government have presented a proposal to
    encode 956 "BrdaRten" characters in the BMP. See
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/WG2/docs/n2558.pdf

    These are precomposed glyphs for the most commonly encountered vertical stacks
    of consonants and vowels. They are all already representable using the existing
    Unicode Tibetan character encoding model (I am not a great fan of this model,
    but for all its sins, it's what we've got and we should learn to live with it).
    Would I be correct in believing that there is no chance of these precomposed
    forms being accepted, even when pushed by a country with the clout of China ?

    Andrew