RE: Precomposed Tibetan

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 13:32:44 EST

    Jungshik Shin wrote:
    > [...]
    > > http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/WG2/docs/n2558.pdf
    > [...]
    >
    > Is there any opentype/AAT font for Tibetan? Do Uniscribe, Pango,
    > ATSUI, and Graphite support them if there are opentype Tibetan fonts?
    > In addition to the principle of character encoding, the best practical
    > counterargument would come from a demonstration that Unicode encoding
    > model for Tibetan script does work in practice.

    Another key point, IMHO, is verifying the following claim contained in the
    proposal document:

            "Tibetan BrdaRten characters are structure-stable characters widely
    used in education, publication, classics documentation including Tibetan
    medicine. The electronic data containing BrdaRten characters are
    estimated beyond billions. Once the Tibetan BrdaRten characters are encoded
    in BMP, many current systems supporting ISO/IEC10646 will enable Tibetan
    processing without major modification. Therefore, the international standard
    Tibetan BrdaRten characters will speed up the standardization and
    digitalization of Tibetan information, keep the consistency of
    implementation level of Tibetan and other scripts, develop the Tibetan
    culture and make the Tibetan culture resources shared by the world." [BTW,
    billions of what!?]

    If the claim proves to be false, well... But if it is true (or even if it is
    not but someone insists it is), I think that it is necessary to
    *demonstrate* the possibility and convenience of alternative solutions.

    I'd propose the following:

            1. Find all the available technical details about this BrdaRten
    encoding.

            2. Come up with a precise machine-readable mapping file between
    BrdaRten encoding to *decomposed* Unicode Tibetan, possibly accompanied by a
    sample conversion application.
            Reasons: (a) to make it easy to migrate BrdaRten legacy data to
    Unicode; (b) to easily update existing BrdaRten applications to export
    Unicode text; (c) to easily retrofit new Unicode applications to import
    BrdaRten text.

            3. (The opposite of point 2) come up with a precise machine-readable
    mapping file between *decomposed* Unicode Tibetan and BrdaRten encoding,
    possibly accompanied by a sample conversion application.
            Reasons: (a) to make it easy to recycle precomposed glyphs from
    existing BrdaRten fonts into modern "smart fonts"; (b) to easily update
    existing BrdaRten applications to import Unicode text; (c) to easily
    retrofit new Unicode applications to export BrdaRten text.

    _ Marco