RE: Precomposed Tibetan

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 06:57:56 EST

    On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Andrew C. West wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:20:00 -0800 (PST), Michael Everson wrote:

    ME> These 950 syllables are insufficient to express anything but
    ME> newspaper and bureaucratic Tibetan.

    ACW> everything, and if the proposal were to be accepted, the existing Tibetan
    ACW> character encoding model would still have to be used on occasion to encode
    ACW> rarely seen forms.

      Having to use both precomposed forms and the existing Tibetan
    characters would lead to a pretty severe headache when it comes to
    normalization as Ken mentioned taking an example of Korean script. As I
    mentioned many times, there are so many unnecessary precomposed forms
    and cluster letters encoded for Korean script in Unicode although only
    45(= 17 consonants x 2 + 11 vowels) plus a few more letters would have
    been sufficient. This makes the normalization a lot more complex(and
    'dirtier') than otherwise. I hope Chinese nat'l standard body and
    Tibetans involved in the proposal will learn a lesson from Korean example
    and be persuaded to withdraw their proposal which is misguided as you
    wrote and as short-sighted as Korea's successful attempt 10 years ago.

    On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:10:13 -0800 (PST), Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    MC> 2. Come up with a precise machine-readable mapping file between
    MC> BrdaRten encoding to *decomposed* Unicode Tibetan, possibly
    MC> accompanied by a sample conversion application.

    ACW> The mapping is simple, and given a mapping table I could write a
    ACW> conversion application in five minutes. If anyone thinks that a mapping
    ACW> table would be useful as a weapon in the fight against the Chinese
    ACW> proposal, I would be happy to provide one.

      I think what Marco suggested would be very good to have when
    persuading Chinese and Tibetans however easy it's to produce
    them. Wouldn't it be a bit tedious, though? Perhaps, with 900+ of them,
    it might not. I have about 5000 archaic precomposed Korean syllables
    encoded in PUA to decompose into Jamo sequences and it's not so fun.
    I just have to print them all out and input them with U+1100 Jamos,
    but typing them all takes a lot of time.

      Jungshik