Re: h in Greek epigraphy

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 19:24:27 EST

    > My first answer to my correspondent was "just use Roman h."

    That would be my suggestion, too. It is available now -- it matches
    current practice, and requires no further action.

    > A program that was sorting text, or trying to determine what script
    > a word was written in, would get confused by hε̄γεμο̄ν.

    As for sorting -- if you are sorting epigraphical Greek, you likely
    need customized tables, anyway. Just add "h" and treat it
    appropriately.

    As for determination of script, you need to ask yourself, for
    what purpose. If this is something like regular expression
    matching, then again, it doesn't matter so much -- you would just
    attempt to match against strings containing letters of the Greek
    script + "h", and you'd get what you expect.

    > Would this justify a proposal for "Greek small letter epigraphical h"?

    I don't think so. Not unless you can demonstrate that this really
    is a distinct character, as opposed to a special usage of the already
    existing Latin "h" -- which is what it seems to be.

    --Ken