h in Greek epigraphy

From: David J. Perry (perryd@telocity.com)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 07:59:33 EST

    I had a question about how to handle the use of lowercase h in Greek epigraphy. For example, the word spelled ἡγεμών in modern standardized texts might be found on a stone written in one of the archaic Greek alphabets as ΗΕΓΕΜΟΝ, where the capital Eta represents the "h" sound. This would be transcribed by an epigrapher using lowercase letters as hε̄γεμο̄ν (note the use of Roman h to represent the aspirate and the combining macrons on epsilon and omicron).

    My first answer to my correspondent was "just use Roman h." Then I got to thinking: are there any situations in Unicode where actual letters of the alphabet are unified across scripts? There are lots of punctuation marks and symbols that can be used with multiple scripts; but I can't think of a situation where an actual letter of the alphabet is so used. A program that was sorting text, or trying to determine what script a word was written in, would get confused by hε̄γεμο̄ν. Would this justify a proposal for "Greek small letter epigraphical h"?

    David