Re: Status of Unihan Mandarin readings?

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 08:05:37 EST

    On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 04:58:08 -0800 (PST), Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > I have tried to follow the discussion about the errors in field "kMandarin"
    > of file "Unihan.txt" but, after a while, I lost my way with all those
    > dictionary references...
    >
    > Could someone kindly make a short summary of the situation? Here are my
    > biggest ???'s:

    Here's my take on the situation :

    > - Are the errors really there?

    Yes.

    > - Any estimate as to how many entries are affected?

    I estimate about 10% of basic CJK, in other words 2,000+

    > - Is it only kMandarin affected or also any other fields?

    I don't think any other fields are affected.

    > - Any estimates for when it will be possible publish a fixed version?

    I'll let Mr. Jenkins answer that one.

    > - Any suggestion for interim work-arounds (e.g., an older version of the
    > file, an alternative source)?

    Use the Unihan database for Unicode 3.0 at
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.0-Update/Unihan-3.txt

    This is the latest uncorrupted version.

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Andrew