Re: Unicode Standards for Indic Scripts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 05:58:00 EST

    At 06:43 +0000 2003-01-08, Manoj Jain wrote:
    >Dear Friends,
    >
    >The existing Unicode Standards for Indic scripts have some discrepancies.

    What does that mean? What are "discrepancies"? Can you summarize? I
    will download the very large files, which will take some time, but it
    is best to use the discussion list to actually discuss these matters.
    Is there a problem? Or are there simply characters missing?

    >Government of India, Department of IT is working on the proposal to
    >be submitted to Unicode Consortium for adequate representation of
    >Indic scripts in the Unicode Standards.

    The people involved in this department should work directly with
    those of us involved in this work who take an interest in this
    matter. In particular, it would be advantageous for the Government of
    India, which is a member of the Consortium, to engage in active
    discussion with the UTC. Don't assume that just preparing a proposal
    without that discussion will be enough. Often it isn't.