Collation issue with Japanese characters (encoding utf-8) in Oracle8i

From: sourav mazumder (sourav_infy@yahoo.co.in)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 23:23:35 EST

    Hi,

    I have japanese data in a varchar2 column in an Oracle8i instance which contains both single byte and multibyte Japanese characters. The encoding type of the instance is UTF-8.

    I want to sort them in such a way that equivalent single byte and multibyte Japanese characters are treated as same. Also while selecting, if I specify the single byte characters in the where condition it should select both single and double byte characters and vice-versa.

    The functionality I'm looking for is similar to the one which can be achieved by using Collator class in Java with FULL_DECOMPOSITION as decmposition mode.

    Could anyone please let me know how can I do it ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Best Regards,
    Sourav