RE: Bengali question

From: Andy White (Andy__White@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 16:45:36 EST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > Draft text for Unicode 4.0 describes "zophola" which is a
    > presentation form of YA used between a consonant and the -aa matra.

    More correctly:
    Zophola is the secondary form of Bengali and Oriya letter Ya
    It occurs when Ya is the last component of a consonant conjunct.
    (It is not dependant on there being an "-aa matra")

    >I am supposed to provide glyphs for this and so am trying to find them.
    >
    > Page 40 of the tdil-huly-2002.pdf document sent out by Manoj Jain
    > shows something like this but names it YA-PHALAA. Is this the same
    > thing? If so, what is the best name for it?

    This glyph is commonly called by varying shades of the name 'jaw-phola'
    Its correct Sanskritised name would be Ya-phalaa. This is the name that
    the Unicode Standard should use.

    For more info, please see the first half of the document
    http://www.exnet.btinternet.co.uk/KhandaWeb/extending.htm
    Thank you.

    Andy