Re[2]: Fw: Karelian ASSR

From: Serge Nesterovitch (felix@bst.ru)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 00:37:02 EST

    Hello Anto'nio,

    AnMTl> On 2002.12.27, 13:55, Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> wrote:

    >> Constitution says that the republics shall have the right to institute
    >> their own state languages. This law puts a constraint on that right.
    >> My understanding is that if a republic wants to institute a state
    >> language that is not written in cyrillic, the decision must be made at
    >> a federal level.

    AnMTl> What will happend to hebrew-spelled yiddish in Еврейский а. о.?
    nothing new.
    the political direction of this new law is only about planning
    migration of tatar lang. to latin alphabet.
    I think, that jews will ignore it at all.
    AnMTl> (Or is
    AnMTl> it just republics and not "federation subjects" at large? And, if so,
    AnMTl> why?)
    it's not a republic. it Evreskaya autonomous area.
    It is a federation subject
    AnMTl> Will this bring even more new chracters to the Cyrillic blocks?
    no

    --
    Best regards,
     Serge                            mailto:felix@bst.ru