RE: Small Latin Letter m with Macron

From: David J. Perry (perryd@telocity.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 17:59:50 EST

    Christoph,

    The convention of using a horizontal line to mark an abbreviation, often
    the omission of m or n, goes back to the middle ages (if not earlier)
    and was often used in early printed books; apparently it has lived on in
    some handwriting, to judge from your post. There is no such m-macron
    character in Unicode, and there will not be since no more precomposed
    combinations will be added.

    I think that U+0305, the combining overscore, is the right thing to use
    for marking such abbreviations. I would like to get confirmation of
    this from others on the list just to be sure. The only alternative
    would be the combining macron, U+0304, which in many fonts would look
    too short. Furthermore, I at least think of macrons as diacritics that
    mainly go over vowels.

    David