Re: Small Latin Letter m with Macron

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 19:13:32 EST

    David J. Perry wrote:
    > The convention of using a horizontal line to mark an abbreviation, often
    > the omission of m or n, goes back to the middle ages (if not earlier)
    > and was often used in early printed books; apparently it has lived on in
    > some handwriting, to judge from your post. ...

    I can confirm the use of m+overline from my family, although I never adopted it myself.

    Also, umlauts are handwritten as double dots or as double prime or as a single overline etc. The
    double prime style looks most like a Fraktur 'e', which AFAIK is where the umlaut modifier originates.

    I always considered those personal variations, "font styles" if you wish. Now I know that the
    m+overline was used elsewhere, thanks :-)

    markus