Re: Small Latin Letter m with Macron

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 17:02:49 EST

    John Jenkins said:

    > On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 01:29 PM, Timothy Partridge wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, especially early printing of Latin documents. See for example
    > > Gutenberg's bibles.
    > >

    > Well, for that matter, even current editions of Spenser's _Faerie
    > Queene_ will use the occasional "õ" for "on," and so on.

    At least as late as the 1970s the English Statutes in Force had Magna Carta
    in abbreviated Latin with English translation. It dates from 1297. Quite a
    lot of it has survived. Much of the sections about the liberties of the
    forest have been repealed because you can't go around killing wildlife in
    forests these days.

       Tim

    --
    Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer