Re: 4701

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 22:23:30 EST

    Thomas Chan scripsit:

    > And it is 4701 or 4700?--the only thing that is certain is that it is the
    > guiwei year of the sixty-year "cycle of Cathay".

    So that line of Tennyson's only meant that Europe did things 6/5 as
    fast as China? I interpreted "cycle" in that context to mean a
    century (cf. French), giving a 2:1 ratio.

    --
    John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
    To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There