Re: 4701

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 22:37:16 EST

    John H. Jenkins scripsit:

    > KangXi says (if I'm understanding it correctly)
    > something like "animal with curved horns." (It's more complex than
    > that, but I think I caught the essence.)

    It reminds me of the desperate definition of "horse", sense 1, in the
    English-language _Century Dictionary_ (first ed. 1889) as
    "the well-known quadruped". The dictionary is available on the web
    at http://www.global-language.com/CENTURY/, but you need to download
    a plugin -- it's available in a graphical format called DjVu.

    --
    John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
    To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There