Unicode and Encoding Problems in Browsers

From: Muhammad Asif (mdasif@wol.net.pk)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 04:32:53 EST

    Hi,
    I actually want to enter some Arabic text in simple HTML text box . I set
    language in my Windows XP settings to Arabic. When i tried to type, there
    are certain characters that are not displayed. Instead rectangles are
    displayed. Characters are from Unicode BMP which is supposed to be
    supported by browsers. I am using IE 6.0

    Also default encoding of browser is UTF-8, but if i change the encoding to
    default windows "Western European" it works fine and every character is got
    displayed. Problem in this is when form is submitted you did not get
    Unicode characters but their entity references in HTML.

    How can i make browser work to display unicode characters with UTF-8
    encoding. So when form is submitted i get Unicode data to store in data base.

    Thanks a lot for your time.

    Asif