RE: Never say never

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 07:48:57 EST

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Andy White wrote:

    > I do regularly check the Unicode site for proposed new characters and
    > scripts. I did not notice the ORIYA WA before. This must have only just
    > recently been added.

    You are right, it was accepted in last December's ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2
    meeting, in Tokyo. Unicode Technical Committee has not approved it yet,
    but as far as I can tell, it will do so in the next meeting, to keep
    Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646 in sync. I guess you can submit a proposal
    against it to the UTC. Use the contact form on the Unicode website.

    > Q. How was someone like me to know about this characters proposal? Where
    > was it advertised?

    On the WG2 web site (you should also regulary check that). It is at:

            http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/

    The document on Oriya letters VA and WA is N2525.

    > I think that all proposed new characters should be mentioned on the
    > Public Unicode list (a search of the list archives shows that it was
    > not).

    That is not the Unicode procedure for encoding new characters. The public
    Unicode list is informal and informational. If you want to be aware of all
    standardisation decisions of Unicode, you should become a member of the
    Unicode Consortium. Instructions are at:

            http://www.unicode.org/consortium/join.html

    Even then, you may be behind a time lag of more than one month because the
    UTC meetings minutes are posted a little late. So, to be fully aware,
    apart from becoming a member, you should also attend UTC meetings.

    roozbeh