RE: Indic Vowel/Consonant combinations

From: Andy White (Andy__White@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 11:51:13 EST

    Marco Cimarosti wrote:
    > Andy White wrote:
    > > I think that Jim Agenbroad seems to have neatly come up with the
    > > solution, and if no one disagrees, this needs to be
    > documented in TUCS
    > > or at least the Indic FAQ.
    >
    > The Unicode Standard disagrees. TUS3.0, Chapter 9, page 214,
    > Figure 9-3 ("Conjunct Formations"), example (4) says that it
    > should be encoded as <U+0930 U+094D U+090B>:
    >
    > "RAd + RIn -> RIn + RAsup"
    >
    > That's absolutely intentional, as explained in the following
    > paragraph:
    >
    > "A number of types of conjunct formations appear in
    > these examples: [...] and (4) a rare conjunct formed with an
    > independent vowel letter, in this case the vowel letter RI
    > (also known as vocalic r). Note that in example (4) in Figure
    > 9-3, the dead consonant RAd is depicted with the nonspacing
    > combining mark RAsup (repha)."

    In the light of Jim Agenbroads information and references, I think this sentence is wrong.

    > > He said that Devanagri Letter Vocalic R with Superscript Letter Ra
    > > (Vowel R with reph) should be encoded as "Ra + Vowelsign
    > Vocaliic R"
    > > (u+0930, u+0943)
    >
    > Sequence <U+0930 U+0943> has indeed the same meaning (i.e.
    > pronunciation) as the sequence above, but it has a different
    > visual representation. See it in TUS3.0, Chapter 9, page 222,
    > Table 9-2 ("Sample Ligatures (Continued)"), right-hand
    > column, 4th row from bottom.

    I'm sorry Marco, but you have got your rows and coulombs muddled!

    > In this ligature, both U+0930 and U+0943 have their normal
    > glyphs, but the matra is joined in a unusual location (on the
    > middle of the right side of the letter, rather than below it)-

    I think you are looking at the third row which depicts 'RA+UU' (U+0930 U+0942)

    The fourth row up shows the combination of Ha + Vocali R (U+0939 U+0943)

    > This visual representation actually exists (I have seen it
    > often on Sanskrit grammars), and is much more common that
    > <independentRI + repha>.

    Yes, 'hri' and 'ruu' are common but we were talking about 'rri' right?

    Andy