Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages? Mac IE's Euro

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 00:05:18 EST

    Tom Gewecke <tom at bluesky dot org> wrote:

    > You can input U+FEFF all by itself in a document and open it with this
    > browser and display a Euro. It's not exactly the same Euro as you get
    > with U+20AC. Weaker, with an extra tail at the top and equal
    > crossbars. Perhaps this indicates a mis-encoded font on the system?
    > But why would no other browser use it? For anyone interested I've put
    > a photo of the two (BOM on top) at:
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/bomeuro.jpg

    The first looks like Courier New, probably a standard font for
    plain-text files. A file containing nothing but U+FEFF would be
    identified as plain text.

    The second looks like Verdana, probably a standard font for HTML files.

    The mystery remains as to why U+FEFF (or the bytes 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF,
    however interpreted) would be displayed as a Euro sign. U+20AC EURO
    SIGN is mapped to 0xDB in most Mac character sets and 0x80 in most
    Windows code pages.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California