Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages? Mac IE's Euro

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 19:37:10 EST

    >Has anyone worked to be positive that this is the cause of the errant
    >euro? With two simple UTF-8 encoded page (one with and one without the
    >BOM) ? I still have a hard time seeing how a BOM can cause a euro in
    >any way other than consulting fees.

    Mac OS X IE 5.2 is the only browser that does this (display the UTF-8 bytes
    for U+FEFF as a Euro sign). It would indeed be interesting to know why.

    You can input U+FEFF all by itself in a document and open it with this
    browser and display a Euro. It's not exactly the same Euro as you get with
    U+20AC. Weaker, with an extra tail at the top and equal crossbars.
    Perhaps this indicates a mis-encoded font on the system? But why would no
    other browser use it? For anyone interested I've put a photo of the two
    (BOM on top) at:

    http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/bomeuro.jpg