Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages?

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 19:29:17 EST

    The W3C validator compares the document contents with the DTD (ie. validates
    it) but does not do checking for compatibility with html specifications.
    I.e. it does not do lint checking.

    So do not use the validator to prove or disprove that a document conforms to
    html syntax or specification.

    tex

    Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 jameskass@att.net wrote:
    >
    > > The W3C Mark Up Validation Service at:
    > > http://validator.w3.org/
    > >
    > > ...validates a UTF-8 web page with a BOM as valid HTML 4.01,
    > > suggesting that the BOM is not at all illegal.
    >
    > Well, I found that, but mischievously tried to hide the fact ;)
    >
    > According to the specs, it's illegal, and it doesn't hurt to fix it. So
    > why shouldn't one?
    >
    > roozbeh

    Making e-Business Work Around the World