A new font called Gentium

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 17:08:28 EST

    Sharing with you a msg received today from a friend.

    How good is Gentium, and can it be used on a Mac?

    Anyone put it through all its paces - punctum delens, etc.?
    mg

    =====
    Dear colleagues,
            Just thought I'd share a discovery about a new font called Gentium
    which is excellent for
    diacritics. It supports a wide range of Latin-based alphabets and includes
    glyphs that correspond to
    all the Latin ranges of Unicode.

    It can be downloaded for free from

    http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/index.html

    and used like any other font in Microsoft Word etc.

    With Gentium you can even place a dot / punctum delens over consonants,
    which is a godsend to
    students of Old Irish.

    Another thing I learnt recently is that in Microsoft Word for Windows
    97-2000 a much more
    painless way than trawling the Symbol Box for letters with diacritics is to
    install a freeware add-on
    called UNIQODER. This adds two menus to the menu bar which makes entering
    Unicode
    characters much easier.
            This is available from

    http://hem.fyristorg.com/dahloe/uniqoder/