Re: Unicode keyboard layouts oddity in OS X 10.2.4

From: Kino (quinon@rio.odn.ne.jp)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 15:10:14 EST

    Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

    On Thursday, Feb 20, 2003, at 03:50 Asia/Tokyo, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:

    > There are two problems we have seen with keyboard preferences.
    >
    > 1. Bringing up the force-quit dialog (command-option-escape) can
    > sometimes disable keyboards in ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts. This can be
    > worked around by moving them to /Library/Keyboard Layouts. Please let
    > me know if this is part of the problem.

    I have never noticed it. BTW,

    > 2. Sometimes other keyboards will not remain enabled over
    > logoff/logon, even if they are not in ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

    After logoff/login, my custom keyboard layouts are not lost though
    Arabic QWERTY is often replaced by Arabic. But after restart, they will
    vanish from Flag menu and become unchecked in Input Menu tag of
    International Preferences.

    > Please do the following in Terminal:
    >
    > defaults read com.apple.HIToolbox "Keyboard Menu"
    >
    > The normal result is:
    >
    > The domain/default pair of (com.apple.HIToolbox, Keyboard Menu) does
    > not exist

    I got the normal result.

    So you have not experienced a similar problem with 10.2.4? At first, I
    thought it to be my personal problem. I have installed so many stuffs,
    some uncommon stuffs too. So I had been struggling to fix the oddity by
    all conceivable means. Trashing
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist,
    ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.00039394fd48.plist and
    files under Caches folders. Repair Permissions. Installing 10.2 and
    Combo updater to 10.2.4 on another partition. Nothing has worked for me.

    But yesterday, on another list, I read a posting which *seems* to
    complain about the same problem.
    <http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/
    wa.exe?A2=ind0302&L=nisus&T=0&F=&S=&P=18572>
    If you read messages on the same thread, you'll notice that the others
    do not seem to have the problem.
    If I'm not mistaken, the author of the message is using my Latin TL and
    AsianExtended created by Nobumi Iyanaga.
    <http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~n-iyanag/researchTools/asianextended.html>
    Both Latin TL and AsianExtended have the same structure for they have
    been created by modifying U.S. Extended. So I thought something might
    be wrong with my keylayout files though Console has not reported a
    single error.

    May this kind of oddity be caused by inappropriate owner/permission
    settings? If so, what is the appropriate setting?

    In "About the Mac OS X 10.2.4 Update"
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107362>, it is written
    that "Addresses an issue in which the Web browser selection could
    unexpectedly change to a different browser after updating your default
    browser". Does this fix have something to do with my problem?

    Another possibility. Is it possible that this oddity occurs only to
    specific model(s) of Mac? I'm running OS X 10.2.4 English International
    on PM G4 dual 1 G MDD.

    It's too late, almost morning here in Japan. Good night, good day.

    Yusuke Kinoshita