Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages? Mac IE's Euro

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 02:18:40 EST

    On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Doug Ewell wrote:

    > The Unicode home page includes the following line, right where it should
    > be, in the <head> section:

    > Any User Agent that takes a page properly marked as UTF-8, as above, and
    > still tries to autodetect a local code page, is badly misguided. How
    > would it handle a real UTF-8-encoded euro sign (0xE2 0x82 0xAC)?

    AFAICR, there is supposed to be no single non-ASCII character before that
    saw it somewhere. The HTML renderer sees those characters and thinks the
    are not mandatory in HTML 4 Transitional). So it goes into autodetection
    mode. The same situation happens with MS FrontPage 2000 (but I've already
    explained that).

    roozbeh