Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 05:39:07 EST

    DE> Michka is probably right that Notepad is one of the more popular HTML
    DE> editors out there,

       The above statement is fair and balanced.

    MK> the best tool for quick fixes to HTML pages *is* notepad, which is

       The above is not. 'One of the best tools' would have been much
    better.

    MK> what is being blamed for causing the problem. :-)

      As pointed out, it's MS IE 5.x for Mac and MS FrontPage
    for Windows that have an issue with Notepad made by MS.

    DE> HTML specification. Browser vendors have certainly gone farther than
    DE> that to "extend" the standard in the past; remember Netscape's notorious
    DE> <blink> element? But I also think the HTML Working Group should

      Netscape certainly deserves 'a lot of flames' for its past sins, but
    these days Netscape and Mozilla netcape is based on are developed
    by a bunch of 'purists' whose insistence on standard-compliance
    is sometimes frustrating and hurting their more wide use although
    laudable.

       Jungshik