Re: Character display problem in browser

From: Markus Scherer (
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 12:52:20 EST

    SRIDHARAN Aravind wrote:
    > My database is Oracle and its character set is WE8ISO8859P1.
    > In database, I have stored special Polish characters.

    First of all, the database character set is ISO 8859-1 which cannot represent "special Polish
    characters". In all likelyhood, you have taken a byte stream in some other encoding and stuck it
    into the database anyway. With some luck, those same bytes may have actually made it into the
    database unscathed - or maybe not.

    You need to identify the encoding that you get your data in - with J2EE, you are using Unicode
    (UTF-16) internally. Reasonable database encodings that let you not trash your text data include
    UTF-16 and UTF-8.

    You need to identify and label in the page what you serve as HTML. Usually for this from J2EE you
    would use UTF-8.

    If you use different encodings in different places, you need to use the correct conversions. See the
    Java tutorials, Oracle manuals, etc.

    Best regards,

    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.