Re: Character display problem in browser

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 12:52:20 EST

    SRIDHARAN Aravind wrote:
    > My database is Oracle and its character set is WE8ISO8859P1.
    > In database, I have stored special Polish characters.

    First of all, the database character set is ISO 8859-1 which cannot represent "special Polish
    characters". In all likelyhood, you have taken a byte stream in some other encoding and stuck it
    into the database anyway. With some luck, those same bytes may have actually made it into the
    database unscathed - or maybe not.

    You need to identify the encoding that you get your data in - with J2EE, you are using Unicode
    (UTF-16) internally. Reasonable database encodings that let you not trash your text data include
    UTF-16 and UTF-8.

    You need to identify and label in the page what you serve as HTML. Usually for this from J2EE you
    would use UTF-8.

    If you use different encodings in different places, you need to use the correct conversions. See the
    Java tutorials, Oracle manuals, etc.

    Best regards,
    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.