CJK Unified Ideographs Range

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 06:44:43 EST

    I've asked this question before, but I've never had a satisfactory response, so
    I'll ask it again now that Unicode 4 is due to be released soon.

    Section 10.1 of the Unicode Standard, as well as Blocks-4.0.0.txt, give the
    range of the CJK Unified Ideographs block as U+4E00 through U+9FFF, whereas at
    the top of the CJK Unified Ideographs code chart it clearly states "Range:
    4E00–9FAF", and does not show the columns 9FB0-9FBF, 9FC0-9FCF, 9FD0-9FDF,
    9FE0-9FEF and 9FF0-9FFF. Is there a reason for this discrepancy ?

    Given that new CJK unified ideographs are added to supplementary CJK blocks
    (CJK-A, CJK-B and CJK-C), and I understand that no more characters are intended
    to be added to the basic CJK block, why then are U+9FB0 through U+9FFF reserved
    for the CJK Unified Ideographs block ? Surely these eighty code points would be
    better utilised if freed for use by new scripts.

    Andrew