Re: [OpenType] PS glyph `phi' vs `phi1'

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 20:35:08 EST

    At 12:13 AM 2/20/03 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
    > > Thanks. As a conclusion it seems that both Adobe's mapping of
    > > U+03D5 and U+03C6 to glyph names and the Unicode annotation for
    > > U+03D5 is incorrect (in case backwards compatibility is of
    > > importance).
    > >
    > > The right mapping should be
    > >
    > > phi 03D5
    > > phi1 03C6
    >
    >I have to correct myself, fortunately. After looking into the printed
    >version of Unicode 2.0 I see that the glyphs of 03D5 and 03C6 in the
    >file U0370.pdf are exchanged. Your assuption is correct that the
    >annotation in Unicode 3.2 is wrong.

    The glyphs were changed between Unicode 2.0 and 3.0. They are now correct.
    The reasons are stated in http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr25 (and also
    tr28, I believe).

    The source of the earlier arrangment comes from the practice of ISO to show
    representative glyphs for the characters in 8859 and similar standards in
    their sans-serif forms. The 'loopy' phi is apparently used very commonly
    with serifed fonts, but equally commonly not used with sans-serifed fonts.

    For Greek *text* that distinction is aesthetics only, but for mathematical
    use of Greek symbols the distinction is crucial. For more information see
    the reports cited.

    A./

    PS: The printed version of earlier versions of the Standard are of
    interested, but if there is a change, you must also consult all later
    versions, or you will miss the rationale for the change.