Re: [REPOST, LONG] XML and tags (LONG) - SCSU for XML

From: Martin Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 16:15:03 EST

    At 11:24 03/02/21 -0800, Markus Scherer wrote:
    >Marco Cimarosti wrote:
    >>BTW, would it be possible to encode XML in SCSU?
    >
    >Yes. Any reasonable SCSU encoder will stay in the ASCII-compatible
    >single-byte mode until it sees a character from beyond Latin-1. Thus the
    >encoding declaration will be ASCII-readable.

    I think there are various different issues here:

    - Would it be possible to *en*code an XML document in SCSU?
       The answer is clearly yes.

    - Would it be *possible* to have such documents *de*coded by an XML
       processor according to the rules in Appendix F of the XML Recommendation
       (i.e. no external encoding information, such as in a standalone file).
       The answer to this question is what Markus said above.

    - Is it *probable* that an XML processor decodes XML in SCSU?
       No, XML processors are only required to support UTF-8 and UTF-16.
       Many of them support other encodings, such as iso-8859-1,..., but
       support for SCSU is thin as far as I'm aware.

    Regards, Martin.