UTF-8 Editors? (Was XML and tags)

From: Edward H Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 15:21:06 EST

    On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > It was a requirement for the host system, not necessarily for every
    > developer's computer. In real life, many colleagues of mine are still using
    > DOS editors or old versions of VI, but they are still able to edit source
    > code in UTF-8, as long as they are just interested in the ASCII part (i.e.,
    > the commands, tags, statements, etc.).
    >
    > _ Marco

    The fact that people can continue using whatever editors they like as long
    as their job function doesn't require meddling with the UTF-8 strings, as
    is the case among your colleagues, is clearly a HUGE benefit of using
    UTF-8.

    Now, what about those of us who require both excellent UTF-8
    support, and also want a good programmer's text editor? Does anybody know
    of good solutions for this?

    Where is "uvi" (unicode-competent "vi"), for example? I tried "vim"
    (www.vim.org) under "mlterm" (http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/) and it seems
    to bungle most UTF-8 strings. The problem seems to be with "vim", because
    a simple "cat" of UTF-8 files under "mlterm" works perfectly (This was
    vim v. 6.0av BETA which came with a Linux distribution and seems to have
    been compiled with a lot of internationalization stuff turned on).

    My current solution is to use both Yudit (www.yudit.org) and an editor
    called Edith (http://www.zfc.nl/). Yudit meets my unicode needs,
    while Edith meets my other needs as a programmer and developer. So, I end
    up using two different editors. I'd be interested in knowing what other
    people use on the major platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)? Does
    anybody have a good web page summarizing this area?