Re: Unicode 4.0 BETA available for review

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 16:06:18 EST

    >I can keep answering these questions, but I can also assure
    >everyone that the UTC worked *very* hard this time around to
    >make the character encoding model much clearer in the Unicode 4.0
    >text, and to anticipate all these edge cases.
    >
    >--Ken

    The problem in the past come from two (or more places)

    1. the definitation in Unicode itself (3.0, 3.1)
    2. the RFC which summarize it.

    I am sure you can control the point 1. But we have to understand the
    point 2 is also important. The reasone people refer to point 2 is
    usually the RFC is much shorter and focus than the Unicode standard
    itself. And also RFC is FREE of charge but not Unicode standard itself.
    So... in the future, in order to ensure we have a good software
    environment, we not only need to make the Unicode 4.0 clear, but also
    need to speed up the revision of those RFCs.