Khmer encoding model (had no subject)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 04:35:42 EST

    Mijan wrote:
    > [...]
    > > >3. There are no other cases of a Vowel+Virama combination in the
    > > >Unicode encoding model.
    > >
    > > Yes, there are. Khmer.
    >
    > I do not understand Khmer but I see that it does not use the
    > same 'encoding model'. Please look, you will see that you
    > were wrong to use Khmer as an example.

    What do you mean by not using the same "encoding model"?

    There are actually three Indic scripts that have been encoded with a
    different model: Tibetan (subscript letters are encoded separately, rather
    than as combinations of virama + consonant), and Thai/Lao (reordrant vowel
    marks are encoded in visual order, rather than in phonetic order).

    But, AFAIK, this is not the case of Unicode Khmer, which is encoded in the
    same way as the scripts of India.

    _ Marco