Re: Tolkien wanta-be has created entirely new language

From: jameskass@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 05:47:48 EST

    .
    C.T.M. Jacobs wrote,

    > And yet Tengwar seems to redefine the ASCII range ...
    >
    > http://www.gis.net/~dansmith/fonts/tengwar.htm

    Not Tengwar itself, of course, but rather the various font developers
    who have made these "custom-encoded" fonts.

    The less charitable among us call such fonts "hack fonts".

    Many examples exist, and such redefinition of the ASCII ranges
    predates the Unicode Standard. During the 1980's, before the
    Unicode Standard, and even into the 90's, when Unicode support
    was minimal, font developers and end users really didn't have
    any other option. Such custom encoding was quite common.

    Now that we all know better (smile) we should avoid making
    custom encoded fonts. The developers of such fonts (who are
    still making and maintaining these fonts) should be urged to
    make conformant fonts. Custom encoded fonts will be phased
    out, eventually. Meanwhile, there are still some great archives
    of non-Standard fonts, and users of antiquated computers can
    still find such fonts useful in a limited fashion.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .