Re: Characters for Cakchiquel

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 11:43:18 EST

    unicode-bounce@unicode.org wrote on 03/27/2003 09:38:15 AM:

    > Having said that, one would expect a good deal of research to be done
    > before approaching these. How many languages were they used for? What
    > sounds do they represent? How do modern scholars producing critical
    > editions present them? (If they use digit 4, I would consider that to
    > be a fault in the character set or font, and, in my opinion, a Latin
    > letter should be added, because the quatrillo is not a quatro.) Do
    > they appear in casing pairs? On the face of it tz looks like a
    > ligature of t and z.

    I can understand the necessity of these questions except for the first two.
    Why would it be needed for encoding to know just what languages / phonemes
    these pertained to? Of course, if this info is available, it's nice to have
    it.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485