Re: Characters for Cakchiquel

From: David Starner (dvdeug@fullnet.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 15:03:49 EST

    On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 04:36:19PM -0000, William Overington wrote:
    > For example, as a first suggestion, if U+E400 and
    > upwards were used for that purpose, would that be a suitable choice for the
    > various font makers who might like to consider adding such characters into
    > their existing fonts?

    What good would a private use character do here? The private use area is
    good for Tengwar, Cirth and Shavian (all of which have multiple fonts
    using the same private use area encoding.) But there's no huge demand to
    interchange data with these characters, and the few users are probably
    going to use something less complex then the private use area. Assuming
    I scan this book in for Project Gutenberg, I'll probably use something
    like [3], [4], [4,] and [4,h] for the characters, at least in the ASCII
    version (and there'd be no reason to post a Unicode version if these
    characters aren't in Unicode.) It's simple, readable and precise,
    something your solution only has one of.

    --
    David Starner - dvdeug@email.ro
    Einstein once said that it would be hard to teach in a co-ed college since