Re: Exciting new software release!

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 11:41:18 EST

    Stefan Persson <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel at yahoo dot se> wrote:

    > This program looks good; however, it would be nice if it could convert
    > e.g. "ä" into "a"+combining diæresis instead of just keeping it in the
    > normal style. "ä" needs to be supported by mathematical fonts in any
    > case, as it is often used to indicate d²a/dt² where t represents the
    > time.

    I think support for full decomposition might be a bit overkill for a
    program that was intended, at least originally, as a complete joke.

    Another user suggested an option to prepend a U+FEFF signature to the
    output stream, since Notepad et al. can't recognize a UTF-8 file without
    one. That seems possible.

    I see a few people have actually downloaded MathText and tried it out.
    I thought it would make a better joke to actually implement the thing,
    complete with UI mini-frills (icons to indicate scripts supported by the
    chosen style, selectable Unicode 3.x/4.x conversion to SCRIPT SMALL L,
    etc.) than simply to describe it on a Web page. This was in the same
    spirit as Michael, Roozbeh, and John's full-blown COMBINING HEART
    proposal, which was far funnier than if somebody had just mentioned the
    idea without developing it.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/